Hello, it’s me, Andrew!
I’m here to add some meaning and perspective to life’s interesting twists, turns and detours. Enjoy!!
Andrew Book—B.S. K-12 PE, M.Ed. Leadership
My Latest Posts
- I Took a Break From Social Media for Three Months (and What I’m Doing Next)It’s true, I made the pledge and stuck to my commitment with zero interaction on social media for three complete months, June, July and August. My routines changed considerably and … Continue reading I Took a Break From Social Media for Three Months (and What I’m Doing Next)
- Climbing the Mountain of Belief—In Myself“Go Book!!!” roared my coach from probably 100 meters away in the grandstands of the 29,000 seat football stadium. But this day, the oft-overlooked, oval, eight-lane track surrounding it was … Continue reading Climbing the Mountain of Belief—In Myself
- Leveling Up (Without Telling You How)In the 80s and 90s, the new words in my hometown were cool, sweet, rad and awesome. How do I know? Because I grew up then and dutifully added them … Continue reading Leveling Up (Without Telling You How)
- Our Summer License Plate Game (We Won!)Aiden’s eyes are peering with precision out my truck window, fully expecting to see another state license plate so we can add it to our list. I drive calmly and … Continue reading Our Summer License Plate Game (We Won!)
- Behind the Showroom Floor—My Journey as a Car Salesman“Who wants burritos?” blared a veteran car salesman in the sparkling showroom. It was just over an hour into my first morning as a car salesman and I was already … Continue reading Behind the Showroom Floor—My Journey as a Car Salesman
- Kick Stress to the Universe it Came FromA couple weeks ago, my son and I went shopping for Birthday presents for our neighbor’s two kids. We had the ease of finding a gift for the first one, … Continue reading Kick Stress to the Universe it Came From
- The Nerds Had it Right All This TimeThe nerds have won. Whether anyone realizes it or not, they know how good they have it and they don’t need to be recognized on a billboard for it to … Continue reading The Nerds Had it Right All This Time
- The Fall of SummerNot sure if you felt it yet but the season is changing. Sadly, for me and most, the world’s energy is taking a downturn with the summer solstice fully in … Continue reading The Fall of Summer
- My Character WishlistPart of why I like running in the mountains is because, despite the strain on the body, it energizes me. After the run I feel better in every sense. I … Continue reading My Character Wishlist
- What is a Toxic Friend?“Andrew, I’m gonna hike on three. Then go long—I’ll throw it far so you can run under it,” Jake said, his eyes full of fire, the intensity completely outmatching the … Continue reading What is a Toxic Friend?
- Setting Fitness (Or Other) GoalsAccomplishing goals is one of the best things we can do as humans. The entire process is the subject of countless movies and books entertaining billions of people, putting the … Continue reading Setting Fitness (Or Other) Goals
- The Hidden Lesson in Taking RollAs a teacher, I created lessons of all sorts for my students but ironically the experience overall has provided lesson upon lesson for me. Ten years in the classroom has … Continue reading The Hidden Lesson in Taking Roll
- Great Teachers Have Big EgosThat’s right, great teachers have big egos. How do I know? Because I spent ten years of my life in the field, which for me, was spent trying to figure … Continue reading Great Teachers Have Big Egos
- My Birthday SpeechAs the sun sets on the start of my 41st year, I enjoy the adjectives that describe my life. I savor them because for most of my life they were … Continue reading My Birthday Speech
- The “Get In Shape” DietDiet is a huge factor in powering our fitness and dictating our body composition. I’ve had lots of success focusing on eating lots of nutritious foods that fuel the body … Continue reading The “Get In Shape” Diet
- How Many Types of People Are There?My customer puts her phone down to ask me a question as I approach her rusty mailbox to put some letters in. Linda Johnson is frequently on her porch, comfortable … Continue reading How Many Types of People Are There?
- Aging Isn’t UndefeatedI have the room memorized. It’s burned in the front of my mind. It’s as if I’m still there, sitting in the padded chair. It’s bland with four blank, white … Continue reading Aging Isn’t Undefeated
- What is Wellness?I came through the finish running as strong as ever. No fatigue or slowing down was anywhere in sight. I just blasted through twelve 300s at 58-60 pace at which … Continue reading What is Wellness?
- Work Yoga ChallengeThe van starts right up when I turn the key and it’ll be moments until the heat starts warming the frigid plastic interior. Thankfully I don’t deliver mail in an … Continue reading Work Yoga Challenge
- Surviving or ThrivingSurviving or thriving? I always laugh when remembering people who ask that. “I’m thriving!” they would boast as they floated by arrogantly. As if overcoming negativity and great losses occur … Continue reading Surviving or Thriving
- My LeBron’sMy LeBron basketball shoes have been hanging on my garage wall for a bit now, collecting dust rather than sweat. They hang worn out—some tread worn off, the insoles torn … Continue reading My LeBron’s
- Why I RunWhy I run. A statement, not a question, because it’s obvious I run for what feels like endless reasons. There are the proven health benefits: I get to manage my … Continue reading Why I Run
- ResolutionsIf you could choose only one word to be your theme, focus, centering-point for the year, what do you think it would be? For me, it’s effort. I know it … Continue reading Resolutions